Whipping egg whites with my new freind!
















Yeah! Finally. I've been able to get hold of some cream of tartar (which is hardly available in Norway). Thank You Paula (my aunt)!

As Rose Levy Berenbaum says "it is virtually impossible to overbeat the whites with cream of tartar". Just add 1/8 of a tsp. for every egg white, after it starts to foam. Rose adds: "if you add the sugar to early the egg whites must be beaten longer, and volume may suffer." If you add it to late you might overbeat the whites, which is a common mistake.

And I must say it worked a dream. The first time in my life I've managed a stiff peak I think!

I tried it out on this macaron recipe from david lebovitz:

Macaron
Batter
1 cup (100 gr) powdered sugar
½ cup powdered almonds (about 2 ounces, 50 gr, sliced almonds, pulverized)
3 tablespoons (25 gr) unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
2 large egg whites, at room temperature
5 tablespoons (65 gr) granulated sugar

Bake at 180 for 15-18 min.

Comments

Popular Posts